Expand-A-Seal ES0105 is a unique microencapsulated expanding threadlocking and sealing compound. Expand-A-Seal increases in volume 20 to 50% on installation, penetrating the gaps in fastener threads that are typically unfilled by conventional threadlockers.
How Expand-A-Seal Works:
- Install an Expand-A-Seal-coated fastener into its mating part.
- The installation pressure causes the Encapsulated Epoxy Resin and Expanding Capsules to burst and mix with the Epoxy Hardener.
- A chemical reaction makes the Epoxy expand, filling the fastener thread gaps while hardening.
- The fastener is fixed in place within 10-15 minutes. Full cure is achieved in 24 hours.
Fastener variation can create gaps (shown in white) between mating surface threads. Conventional threadlockers (blue area) are thin and insufficient at filling these spaces.
Expand-A-Seal (green area) expands 20 to 50%, completely filling the gaps between fastener threads, resulting in a strong lock and high-pressure seal.
Applications:Use Expand-A-Seal ES0105 to seal critical applications where shock, vibration and fluid pressure cause the fastener to loosen or the joint to leak. Typical applications include:
- Engine pipe plugs
- Air fitting connectors
- Compressor fittings
- Cooling connectors
- Marine ride plates
Performance of Cured Material*
- M10 zinc phosphate plus oil bolt aluminum test plate
27 Nm (239 in. lb.) Typical Breakaway Torque
- M10 Zinc Plated bolt aluminum test plate
25 Nm (221 in. lb.)
- M10 Zinc Dichromate bolt aluminum nut
25 Nm (221 in. lb.)
Seal Test on Fluid Resistance**
- Brake Fluid @+300°F (+150°C)
- ATF @ +300°F (+150°C)
- 50:50 water/ethylene glycol @+248°F (+120°C)
- Gasoline @+77°F (+25°C)
|Primary Use||Heavy Duty Seal|
|Lead Treads||1 to 3|
|Coating Length||1.5 x Diameter|
|Prevailing on Torque|
|Breakaway Torque||Exceeds IFI 125 & IFI 525|
|Temp Range||-65° to 300°F|
|Fixture Time||10-15 Min.|
|Full Cure Time||24 Hrs|
|On Part Life***||1 Year|
|Pressure Resistance**||> 115 PSI|
**Coated parts assembled into aluminum block and submersed in the test fluid and heated for 30 days then tested at temperature for sealing and tested for breakaway torque when cooled. Assembled parts tested at 793 kPa (115 PSI).
*** When stored in dry, cool environment.
- DIN 267-27
- IFI 125
- IFI 525